Supporting your members’ career journeys is vitally important to delivering a great overall member experience. Your members’ needs and expectations evolve as they move through their careers and their membership with your organization.
Consider this: The 2018 Member Education and Career Development Report found that helping advance their career is a top benefit of joining an association, as cited by member survey respondents. To support your members’ needs throughout their careers, your career center should be a source of engagement and help for your members. At the same time, your association should be the “go-to” source for your members’ training and education.
A key to supporting these aspects of the member journey is making sure you have the right career center and learning management technologies in place to enhance the value your organization provides its members through each phase of their career – from student and early career to retirement. Once you have the right technology in place, it’s time to turn your attention to strategy.
Here are 10 ways to use your career center and Learning Management System (LMS) to support the member journey.
1. Generate a report of non-member job seekers from your career center to use in marketing efforts to drive new members.
2. Showcase your members’ learning credentials on their career center job seeker profile to help them stand out to recruiters.
3. Introduce a job email to your members. Employers are often willing to pay extra for this distribution of their job to additional potential candidates.
4. Include a jobs feed or widget in your e-newsletters with recently posted jobs. It’s likely to become one of the most viewed/clicked-upon sections of your newsletter.
5. Enable LinkedIn profiles to be imported into your career center.
6. Understand how other organizations have adopted different learning formats and how they may be adapted by your organization.
7. Add new offerings – such as personalized learning paths, just-in-time learning, virtual conferences, live webinars, and webcasts – to stay relevant with your members and keep them engaged.
8. Leverage technology that makes it easier to break down content; offer a variety of learning modes and formats; and deliver content through an organized, customized, on-demand course library.
9. Track and award education credits for in-person learning and online learning. Use this data to recommend other relevant courses to members.
10. Be a resource. Consider the knowledge and opportunities your association provides. Strategize how to provide value and be the “go to” organization for members and the industry you serve. Create a communication strategy that reinforces this objective.
According to the 2021 Association Trends Study conducted by Community Brands, only 19% of association Pros believe that job searches are important to members. However, 47% of early careerists rank help with career advancement as a valued benefit. Integrating your career center and LMS offers a wealth of career advancement opportunities for members, which is especially helpful when the economy is in flux. Let YM Careers and its LMS integrations make your association a true professional development destination your members will rely on throughout every stage of their careers.
Ready to learn more?
Read how your job board and LMS can support your members' career journeys.