It’s time for new job board software for your association. But how do you convince your board to give you the thumbs up to move forward?
To gain board approval for a new online career center solution, it’s important to build a business case for the new technology. Your board needs to understand your goals as well as the potential benefits a new solution can have for your organization.
Here are five things your business case for new job board software should do:
1. Paint a picture.
Set the stage for the conversation with your board by providing a picture of the importance on an online career center for your association. It can help to use industry statistics to back things up.
For example, the 2022 Association Trends Study by Community Brands builds on multiple studies from the past several years. Since 2017, the studies continue to show that job opportunities and help with career development are among the most important benefits to members.
A well-executed career center built on modern association job board technology provides the value members seek and can be a powerful tool for attracting and retaining members while generating revenue for your organization.
At the same time, providing employers with access to talent is a simple way to drive additional non-dues revenue for your association. When employers need to fill jobs that require specific skills and industry knowledge, they need to promote their jobs to members of professional and trade associations. Your new job board software can help by driving non-dues revenue through paid job ads, sponsorships, and other fee-based products.
2. Articulate the goals for your online career center.
Help your board understand the benefits of great job board software by presenting them with specific goals. This might include things like:
- X percent increased revenue
- X percent new member growth
- X percent improved member retention
3. List the functionality you need to reach your goals.
Help your board understand the capabilities you need for career center success. Discuss requirements in terms of how they will help you reach your goals.
Here are some key capabilities to include:
- For job seeking members and non-members:
- Email job matching and personalized job search and recommendations
- Career Planning Portal with industry-specific advice, tips, and coaching, and other resources to help job seekers advance their careers
- For employers:
- Candidate screening and management
- Job postings
- Enhanced job distribution via featured job emails, job widgets, and social media
4. Explain the techniques you can employ with modern association job board technology.
Help your board understand some of the specific ways you plan to provide member value and drive revenue once your new career center is in place. For example:
- Automatically send jobs to relevant job seekers via email when the jobs are posted.
- Increase engagement by recommending opportunities to job seekers based on their prior searches.
- Offer employers the opportunity to pay to post their jobs on your job board and pay an additional fee to promote their jobs on job alert emails, your home page, Twitter feed, and Facebook page.
- Place a jobs feed or widget on the home page of your site to pull in more job seeker traffic and give employers access to passive job seekers.
- Offer career advice through articles that guide job seekers in their search.
- Provide online coaching with tips on résumés, interviewing, and more.
- Deliver career insights and placement services that help members secure the jobs they want.
5. Propose the right career center technology for your association.
After painting a compelling picture for your board, it’s important to find and propose the new job board software that will help you reach your goals. With the right technology, you can realize the full potential of your association’s online career center.
YM Careers association job board software by Community Brands can help. It’s designed for niche career centers, versus general career centers. This makes it much easier for job seekers to connect with companies that are hiring in your industry and for employers to access highly qualified candidates (your members and potential members).
Career Planning Portal by YM Careers comes with every job board. This is a career advancement hub that provides professionals in your industry with a comprehensive set of career resources to advance their careers.
Offer your members the resources they need to research, plan and develop their careers and be a career advancement hub.
In case you don’t have the time or expertise to manage job board sales and marketing, YM Careers has experienced sales and marketing teams that can help you drive traffic to and revenue from your job board.